Colombiere Jesuit Community Residence and Chapel
Centrally organized within the Colombiere Jesuit Brother’s 14-acre residential community is a new religious temple devoted to the elder Jesuits of the Maryland Province Society. The building’s restrained form shelters an organically patterned “tree canopy” that interacts with daylight to evoke the spirit of nature inside the sanctuary, while electric lighting communicates this vision to the exterior environment in the evening hours.
The 1650 sq. ft. sanctuary combines architectural references from a traditional monastery with inspiration drawn from neighboring beech trees to create a modern environment for contemplation. FMS also designed the lighting of the library and private chapel spaces adjacent to the main worship sanctuary.