West Side Presbyterian Church
The original traditional Gothic Church built in 1922 was destroyed by fire in 2002. With its 1500 member congregational support, the reconstruction of the church features a modern fresh look with open airy spaces including ample natural daylight to see the heavens.
The lighting challenge was to provide a design that would meet the congregation’s modern multi-functions which include choirs, orchestras, seasonal plays and a variety of worship services. Functional lighting was achieved with adjustable fixtures concealed between architectural wooden baffles while traditional elements such as the pendant chandeliers and clerestories were expressed in clean modern onyx forms, back lit to give it a heavenly glowing. A sophisticated theatrical lighting control system was designed to meet the many varying lighting scenes and functions.